[arch-general] Daemon Locale

Yclept Nemo orbisvicis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 00:23:06 EST 2011

I want to create a new postgresql database cluster with UTF-8 locale
and default (template) encoding. While initdb, run by rc.d/postgresql,
inherits the locale from the environment, rc.d/functions overrides the
locale to C as specified by DAEMON_LOCALE

So I am thinking, is there any reason why not to run all daemons as
UTF-8? I remember in the mailing list some devs preferred to run with
the C locale. Why?

Alternatively I could run initdb myself.. I am also wondering if
starting a cluster with a different encoding than that of the
environment (UTF-8 in a C environment) will cause problems

thanks,