[arch-general] console-kit session not activates properly

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Fri Nov 25 12:25:43 EST 2011

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:16:31 +0000
Mauro Santos <registo.mailling at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25-11-2011 15:15, János Illés wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a bit of a trouble with proper policy-kit settings. I’m running
> > a standalone openbox session for desktop usage. For login I have a
> > simple script in my .zprofile file, which will start the X server if I
> > log in from the first virtual terminal (which is what I’m doing 99% of
> > the time).
> >   if [[ `tty` == "/dev/tty1" ]]; then    startx &!    logout  fi
> > my xinitrc is the following:
> >   exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session
> > The problem is that in the X session the consolekit session’s is-local
> > and active properties are FALSE hence the removable device automount
> > breaks (I guess it could affect other things I dont use)
> > If I start the X server with startx manually from the tty2 after
> > logging in, both values will be TRUE and device automounting works
> > fine.
> > Should I switch to a proper login manager or is there a quick/easy fix
> > for this?
>
> I had problems too and the solution I found was to do it like this:
>
> if [[ $(tty) == /dev/tty1 ]];
> then
> 	startx &> /dev/null &
> 	sleep 15
> 	logout
> fi
>
> The sleep seems to be needed in order for *kit to work. I'm using xfce
> though.

The sleep is needed to avoid a race condition: logout happens before the
policykit starts. What I don't understand is why ck doesn't complain about an
empty utmp entry? I though you have to keep your user logged in, so that "w"
returns something. I suspect, you won't be able to use Upower to shutdown...

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D