[arch-general] [mkinitcpio] release 0.8.0

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Fri Nov 25 20:10:35 EST 2011

Hi all,

I've tagged mkinitcpio 0.8.0, which came a little earlier than I would
have liked, but there's still fun things to talk about.

The major point of interest is the addition of fsck functionality. The
logic in init is triggered by the addition of the 'fsck' install hook.
If added after the autodetect hook, only the necessarily helper for the
root FS will be added. Eventually, there may be reason to add fsck prior
to this hook, but probably not yet.

Operation is hands off until something blows up, at which point we
follow similar logic to that of rc.sysinit. I'll explicitly call out
that if you're using this hook, make sure you have a useful keyboard --
this probably means adding the usbinput hook.

Other than fsck, there's were lot of cleanup efforts in the early
userspace init to modularize the functionality, but it generally remains
the same. Everything remains largely the same functionally, but I'll
point out that if you pass a major/minor pair as your root device or
don't use udev, you will likely no longer see root mounted as /dev/root,
but as a more descriptive block device.

As always, this has stood up to my army of VMs, but nothing's better
for finding bugs than real world testing.

Thanks for Gerardo and Tom for their contributions to this release. The
full shortlog is below.

Dave Reisner (15):
      mkinitcpio: dereference symlinks when resolving kernver
      update bash completion
      Makefile: install binaries to /usr/bin
      init: don't tell the kernel about the path to modprobe
      init: create /run/initramfs after mounting /run
      init_functions: refactor poll_device
      autodetect: store rootfstype for use by other hooks
      init: use util-linux's /bin/mount
      init_functions: move root resolution to separate function
      init_functions: generalize resolve_device
      init_functions: resolve M:m to device file
      fsck: implement basic fsck support
      install/fsck: new install hook to add fsck and helpers
      init_functions: simplify parse_cmdline
      use util-linux's switch_root binary

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi (5):
      hooks/resume: Remove unused function
      hooks/resume: Remove grep usage
      init: Remove grep usage
      init: Remove sed cmd usage
      init: Remove unneeded test

Tom Gundersen (1):
      add_symlink: fix argument ordering and add_dir call