[arch-general] alsa start (Re: Fwd: udev events and /usr not mounted)

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sat Nov 26 17:15:45 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 14:35, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 9:27 PM, clemens fischer
> <ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org> wrote:
> > Myra Nelson wrote:
> >
> >> Currently I don't want to try to migrate /usr to /. / is only 4 GB and
> >> /usr is 8+ GB and everything works to well so I'll just do a fresh
> >> install later. Otherwise sudo /usr/bin/alsactl start works well.
> >
> > You could also put a line into etc/rc.local :
> >
> >  /etc/rc.d/alsa start || echo "cannot '/etc/rc.d/alsa start': $?"
>
> Should be enough to add "alsa" to your DAEMONS array in rc.conf. /usr
> is always mounted by the time the daemons are started.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

To all:

Alsa is in my daemons array and starts. The problem is the udev rule to
restore the volume levels fails as it is run before /usr is mounted. That's
why I was asking about udev rules and why [ /usr/bin/alsactl  restore ]
works from the console after I've booted. After reading through the
initscripts, rc.d, and mkinitcpio code I think it may be possible to run:

[
 run_hook sysinit_postmount

  udevam control --reload-rules

 run_hook single_end
]

in rc.local.

I have some research to do. My thought process was to automate the task,
laziness is the mother of invention, rather than remembering to run alsactl
restore after I boot.
Thanks for the replies. Maybe Dave could weigh in on this for some
clarification on the hooks for the rc files and if I'm on the right track.

Myra