[arch-general] No consoles with NVIDIA

Geoff capsthorne at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 28 07:17:05 EST 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:45:41 +0100
Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:

> So I've installed the nvidia package according to the wiki. But now I've
> got the problem that as soon as I start the X server, I've got a blank
> screen whenever switching back to the consoles (tty1-tty6). This
> consoles stay blank even when killing the X server, which basically
> means that I can't use any consoles anymore.

I have a Gforce 8400 GS and I have used the nvidia driver for several
years without problems.  The recent upgrade to 290.10.1 has given me the same
problem that you have - plus several others.  I have intermittent freezes, WAIT
errors in my Xorg log, and nvidia Xid errors in my error logs.  See also this
thread in the forums : https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130803

I am afraid that I have no solution to offer except maybe to try downgrading as
recommended in that thread.   I have not done that yet myself, because I hate
to downgrade, but I may soon have to try it.