[arch-general] perl-readline-gnu

Jorge Almeida jjalmeida at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 03:54:44 EDT 2011

2011/10/3 Ángel Velásquez <angvp at archlinux.org>:

> I think is included in the perl core and that's why is conflicting ?
> ... I guess you installed it by hand (perl-term-readline from AUR).

No, I installed by hand Term-ReadLine-Gnu. I removed it now just to see
how it goes, and, of course, the programs I need it for don't work. I
noticed that they were not working even with Term-ReadLine-Gnu installed
(after working for years), so it must have to do with recent changes in
Perl.

The CPAN package Term-ReadLine is just a stub, the fact that Perl
provides it means nothing. Term-ReadLine is an interface to the package
that does the real work, which is either Term-ReadLine-Gnu or
Term-ReadLine-Perl. The latter has less features and I think it is
supposed to be slower (according to its author, IIRC). So,
Term-ReadLine-Gnu is a must.

So, I guess the Perl changes are the problem, and I'm don't know where
to go from here...

Thanks

> Just remove it, perl bring this package in the core.
:(

J.A.