[arch-general] GLiv freezes when quitting with nVidia GPU

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 21:56:59 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 1:10 AM, Ricardo Catalinas Jiménez
<jimenezrick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> It seems that with the latest version of GLiv using a nVidia GPU when
> trying to quit the program with File->Quit or just hitting `q' it
> freezes and then starts eating all the CPU.
>

> Anybody have experienced the same issue?
>

> As far as I can tell, this problem was not present with previous
> versions of GLiv and/or nVidia driver. My GPU is:
>
> nVidia Corporation G73GL, Quadro FX 560
>
> I'm on an updated Arch, so my package versions are:
>
> nvidia 280.13-1
> gliv   1.9.7-1
>
> I sent an email to the author of GLiv, but as it could be nVidia's
> fault (see backtrace below), it is possible that he can't help.
>
> Here it is the gdb backtrace when trying to quit GLiv:
>
> #0  0x00007f73935b1ba4 in _nv012tls ()
>   from /usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.280.13

quoting [1]: "The nvidia-tls libraries
(/usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.x.y.z and
/usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.x.y.z); these files provide thread local
storage support for the NVIDIA OpenGL libraries (libGL, libGLcore, and
libglx). Each nvidia-tls library provides support for a particular
thread local storage model (such as ELF TLS), and the one appropriate
for your system will be loaded at run time."

the file on top of the call stack is part of the nvidia-utils package,
which isn't an open source project. you can file a bug at nvidia,
something like a bugtracker will likely turn up on google... I'm
having the file, I'm seeing it in ldd $(which gliv) and I can use gliv
without the error you're getting.

cheers!
mar77i