[arch-general] wintv-hvr 850 (hybrid) not detecting any signal.

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 23:57:04 EDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Sergey Manucharian
<ingeniware at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Javier,
> Excerpts from Javier Vasquez's message from Sun 09-Oct-11 11:40:
>> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Sergey Manucharian
>> <ingeniware at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > ...
>> >
>> > I used to use wintv-hvr 950 a year or two ago - it worked fine. Will try find those old configs and run it again with the recent kernel etc.
>> > (Not sure if 850 and 950 similar though).
>> >
>> > I'let you know the results.
>> Thanks a lot, that'll be of great help.
>> BTW, they used to need different drivers:
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-850
>> http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-950
>> But nowadays I don't know...  The dirvers selected by udev + kernel
>> seem to be the right ones (I've tried several things like combining
>> them with the ones mentioned in the above links, and blacklisting
>> them), since without them the gadget doesn't even turn on, but they
>> just don't work, :-)
> They are indeed different, mine has xc2028 chip, while yours - cx231xx, the dmesg file is attached.
> Mine could not catch any signal (although did not show any error) until I installed the firmware. I've found it in aur (xc3028-fw 27-1), you can see the corresponding line in dmesg:
> xc2028 16-0061: Loading 80 firmware images from xc3028-v27.fw, type: xc2028 firmware, ver 2.7
> I believe you need to install fw for your device as well from:
> http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/  (v4l-cx231xx-avcore-01.fw)
> After that everything is straight forward, you can run w_scan (from aur) to create the cahnnel list, put it in /etc/mplayer/channels.conf (if you use mplayer - I never used tvtime) and run "mplayer dvb://".
> --
> Cheers,
> Sergey

Hi Sergev, and thanks again for the help.

See, I didn't think I had to download firmware, since I had it
already.  As far as I can tell:

% ls /lib/firmware/v4l-cx231xx-avcore-01.fw

Any ways I downloaded the one you pointed out and made a diff, and it
to my surprise differed from the one I had.  So I moved to old and
place downloaded one, and tried again, but it didn't work, :-(

See from my first post (with dmesg copied), you can notice that the
firmware was loaded:

[  143.911324] cx231xx #0: cx231xx_dif_set_standard: setStandard to ffffffff
[  143.933691] cx25840 3-0044: cx23102 A/V decoder found @ 0x88 (cx231xx #0)
[  143.951787] cx25840 3-0044:  Firmware download size changed to 16
bytes max length
[  145.954902] cx25840 3-0044: loaded v4l-cx231xx-avcore-01.fw
firmware (16382 bytes)

So I'm not sure it's a FW issue.  Any ways, I hoped it was...

Any other thing you might think of, even involving FW, it'll be welcome...



More information about the arch-general mailing list