[arch-general] Samba: Access Denied

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 16:12:36 EDT 2011

So I'm trying to figure out why Samba won't allow me to share the folder:

/home/admin/data

on my home server; but it will share:

/home/

just fine.

/home/admin/data is chmodd'ed 777 because its gonna be the 'public
share' folder with nothing personal in it, the user is admin, the
group is users. Whenever I try to access the folder from my laptop TO
the server; I get "Access Denied"

Relevant SMB.conf section:

        [Public]
        path = /home/admin/data/
        available= yes
        browsable = yes
        public = yes
        writable = yes
        create mask = 0777
        guest ok = yes

[admin at server ~]$ ls -l
total 12
drwxrwxrwx 2 admin users 4096 Oct 21 13:09 data
drwxr-xr-x 2 root  root  4096 Oct 21 12:58 ftp
drwxr-xr-x 2 root  root  4096 Oct 21 13:49 http
[admin at server ~]$

Just incase this is the issue: the permissions on /home/admin (the
admin folder specifically) are

[admin at server home]$ ls -l
total 4
drwx------ 5 admin users 4096 Oct 21 13:53 admin
[admin at server home]$

So could the problem be that /home/admin's permissions wont allow me
to share a subfolder, even though the subfolder's permissions are
fine? If so; what would be an okay permission setup to use for
/home/admin so that I CAN share /home/admin/data, without letting
everyone have access to my overall /home?

The reason im doing Samba instead of NFS is because there's windows
machines on the network as well