[arch-general] Discussion on usage of [testing] repo - minimal requirements?

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 23:41:47 EDT 2011

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Testing#.5Btesting.5D states the
following (paraphrased for summary):-

[testing] is for experienced users who can deal with broken systems,
not for the 'absolute latest' package versions. It may break
critical/[core] packages, as such users are strongly encouraged to
subscribe to [arch-dev-public] and watch the [testing] sub-forum.

Second reference - this forum thread -

A user basically is using [testing] without fulfilling the above
requirements. Should the user be advised not to use [testing] or is
this counter-productive to the purpose of [testing]?

This discussion is not meant to be commentary on any of the
personalities involved in the thread, the thread did spark this but
I'd like to hear (esp from devs/TUs) opinions on the general case, not
the specific case. The reason for this is that its possible there's
quite a bit of difference in opinions, and some clarity would (IMO)
help.

My personal opinion - If you don't fulfil the above requirement you
should not use [testing], and other Arch users should graciously
inform you as such.

Sorry for the long email, feel free to mute this thread, since I do
know its got high potential for unproductive cross-chatter.