[arch-general] Pacman makepkg and signatures

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 24 00:24:26 EDT 2011

On 24/10/11 14:10, Myra Nelson wrote:
> Since I don't listen in on irc conversations and haven't picked up on
> this being discussed on the mailing list, I thought I would go ahead
> and ask a seemingly dumb question. When building a pacakge from core,
> extra, or community with makepkg should I locate the signature key for
> the source tarball and import it into the pacman-key database, or will
> there be a mechanism for this in the future, or since the same package
> is used by the devs is it completely unnecessry for me to worry about?
> Obviously the build completes after issuing the warning about a
> problem with signature verification and being sure you trust the
> package so it's not a problem, I'm just trying to stay ahead of the
> curve.

pacman-key's gpg database is only for use with pacman.

I assume you are rebuilding packages using ABS and have run into a case
with the source files have signatures.  These are checked using your
users gpg keyring, not the pacman one.  If you want to verify the
signatures are good, then you will need to import the key to your local
keyring.  Or you could trust the developers have checked it and assume
the provided checksum is enough...   Depends how paranoid you are.

Allan