[arch-general] coping with damaging updates

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Thu Oct 27 12:24:13 EDT 2011

On (10/27/11 17:49), Mick wrote:
-~> Following yet another update that has disabled user control of USB
-~> sticks, cameras, etc. and blocked user from shutting down from the
-~> desktop (in my case xfce4), I am at the end of my tether.
-~>
-~> Is there some way to be fore-warned of these updates coming online and
-~> avoid them or be ready with clear info on how to repair the damage they
-~> are set to create.
-~>
-~> mick

OK, which update you are talking about?

Shutdown problems probably come from upower. Your user would loose control of
external devices only if you were in the storage/disk groups. Adding youself to
these groups was your mistake, since unless you understand what you are doing,
you should let console-kit do the permission granting. In fact, on a modern
linux system you only have to be a member of 1 group: users.

How do you start your desktop and do you have ck-launch-session running?

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D