[arch-general] coping with damaging updates

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 13:14:36 EDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:

> OK, which update you are talking about?
>
> Shutdown problems probably come from upower. Your user would loose control of
> external devices only if you were in the storage/disk groups. Adding youself to
> these groups was your mistake, since unless you understand what you are doing,
> you should let console-kit do the permission granting. In fact, on a modern
> linux system you only have to be a member of 1 group: users.
>
> How do you start your desktop and do you have ck-launch-session running?

Personally I'm not using neither gui file browser nor consolekit
session and make use of the group based permission because I know how
to handle things, and I can look up eventual barriers in my way
quickly and reliably enough. I mount usb drives manually and generally
lay hands on my system to keep things running, I mean, in a sane way.
This is the first time I hear that this way of treating things would
be discouraged, and I'm asking myself if this is just a sysadmin's
gripe and if it will be possible in the future. Let's say I'm pretty
sure it will be possible, since I guess I'm not the only one who
avoids these additional sources of errors aka. software layers like
ck/dbus/stuff. I left $certain-other-distro for some reason, and don't
want to be forced back on this layer cake again.

Also reminds me of this morning's xorg-xdm bug report I wrote which
made dbus on a system level necessary, all of a sudden... Things go on
like this and I'll remove my Xorg and run frambuffer only from now on.
:-)

cheers!
mar77i