[arch-general] Unreachable system and general ARP weirdness

swh root at pwnly.com
Sat Sep 3 19:13:44 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Jeremiah Dodds <jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to get prerequisites out of the way, have you done the
>
> for f in $(find /etc -type f -name '*pacnew'); do
>  orig = ${f%.pacnew}
>  diff -u $orig $f > /tmp/$orig.diff
> done
>
> then review the config changes and make updates accordingly dance?

The desktop is my primary system, so I do tend to keep its config
files fully in order.

The laptop is something of a test bench system, so it's got a number
of *.pacnew files, but I'm convinced they're all unrelated to
networking. Most of them are actually user/group related and are there
just because they're necessarily modified after initial install -
/etc/{group,passwd,shadow,sudoers} and such.

It really seems like an extreme long-shot, that the laptop would be
able to consistently cause strange low-level networking issues in the
desktop, but I'm grasping at straws here.