[arch-general] How big really is the MBR?

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 19:29:43 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Eric Griffith <egriffith92 at gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> They had various numbers for bs=,  some 440, some 446, some 506, and
> some 512. Normally I would've just shrugged and followed the wiki, but
> notice on one said that if you zero out too far, you wipe out hte
> partition table...which I wouldn't enjoy haha.

looking in the wiki might have been enough.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GUID_Partition_Table

btw, slightly off topic, concerning that ominous 1MiB post-mbr gap,
which I looked up because it didn't seem to be noted anywhere in non
linux-related sources:
http://marc.info/?l=util-linux-ng&m=128152568828109&w=4

cheers!
mar77i