[arch-general] [anikom15 at gmail.com: odd compress command]

Westley Martínez anikom15 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 01:44:43 EDT 2011

I don't think my previous email went through.  I apologize and disregard
if it did.  Here is the original message:

----- Forwarded message from Westley Martínez <anikom15 at gmail.com> -----

Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 00:44:46 -0700
From: Westley Martínez <anikom15 at gmail.com>
To: arch-general at archlinux.org
Subject: odd compress command

Hello, on my [Arch] system the compress program is actually a wrapper to
gzip.  This has caused a test to fail for Python
<http://bugs.python.org/issue11340>.  The bug is quite old but it is
still relevant and I've been working on fixing it.  I'd like to ask if
anyone knows exactly why Arch's compress program outputs .gz files and
not .Z files.  I honestly could not find any information concerning its
history or its rationale, and I come to this mailing-list as a last
resort.  Likewise, I think it would be appropriate to adopt the true
compress program or not include a compress command at all, because, as
you can see, problems have been created.

----- End forwarded message -----