[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Adopting start-stop-daemon in archlinux

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Sep 8 12:15:15 EDT 2011

Am 08.09.2011 18:01, schrieb Tom Gundersen:
> I think my preferred approach would be to provide some more
> helperfunctions in /etc/rc.d/functions which do the most common
> operations of the ones you outlined above. Just by glancing over your
> ssh-patch I got the impression that we would be better off supporting
> fewer options than start-stop-daemon does, to encourage unified/simple
> rc scripts. Take --start as an example, we should probably have a
> function that looks something like "start($pidfile,$executable,$args)"

Agreed.

> . How we implement these functions would be an internal detail of
> initscripts (we could either include start-stop-daemon.c or we could
> implement them in bash if it is simple enough).

Clemens has a point here: Debian already sorted out all the kinks and
quirks of this topic, and implemented the solution in
start-stop-daemon.c. Instead of slowly converging towards their result
(remaining buggy on the way), we would benefit from their work if our
new helpers in rc.d/functions would simply call start-stop-daemon.