[arch-general] wvdial and ppp configuration

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Sat Sep 10 17:31:44 EDT 2011

On 11 September 2011 05:08, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> I don't explicitly use pppd, wvdial does. And it looks as if it
> shouldn't - just do the dialling and then let something else (e.g.
> dhcpcd) set up the already existing interface (usb0). But wvdial
> has no options to make it do that AFAIK.

wvdial needs to start pppd to connect. Without pppd, wvdial is
useless. The ppp0 is the proper device (registered by pppd), and not
usb0. I don't know which brings that one up, but I suppose it's the
usb_modeswitch thing. A dhcp client is used at the end, after
dialling, after connecting.

The man page has a good explanation of this process in the first few
paragraphs, which might also explain the don't-know message. You can't
optimise your connection any further. If it works, it works.

> Yes, originally it shows up as a cdrom device with the Windows
> software on it. After the modeswitch it becomes a modem.

Then you probably have one of the other unfriendly devices. My Huawei
E220 (still released and also branded by Vodafone but I unlocked it)
is also a cd-rom/modem/usb device but I only had to tinker with the
mode switching years ago.

--
GPG/PGP ID: 8AADBB10