[arch-general] no desktop: howto change default browser?

clemens fischer ino-news at spotteswoode.dnsalias.org
Sun Sep 11 14:26:53 EDT 2011

Hi,

when using eg. "evince" to view a PDF document, links open in
"epiphany", which seems to be a gnome default browser.

I need to change this, but all the links the <search engine> comes up
with hint at using menus like "system -> ... -> browser".  I only run
a window-manager, no desktop, so there's no such thing as a "system"
menu entry.

I have used "gconf-editor", added the directory chain
"~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/url-handlers/{http,https}" with keys "command"
-> 'firefox "%s"', "enabled" -> ticked, "needs_terminal" -> not-ticked,
but these settings don't help.

Does somebody know how to change the setting for default-browser when no
desktop is used?

clemens