[arch-general] no desktop: howto change default browser?

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Sun Sep 11 18:50:06 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Mantas M.'s message of 2011-09-11 20:39:20 +0200:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 08:26:53PM +0200, clemens fischer wrote:
> > I have used "gconf-editor", added the directory chain
>
> Very few programs still use the GConf settings. Most follow the XDG configuration at ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list:
>
>     [Default Applications]
>     x-scheme-handler/http=firefox.desktop
>     x-scheme-handler/https=firefox.desktop
>     text/html=firefox.desktop
>
> The "x-scheme-handler/*" entries are for "http:" and "https:" URLs respectively, and "text/html" is for opening local HTML files.

Is this config file also managed through gconf or something? I mean I
really appreciate that it's a text file but it's the first time I heard
of it and it seems this kind of stuff changes faster than I can say wtf
(text files to xdg files to gconf to other xdg files). I'm really
confused. I also wonder what the strange additional strings in there
mean, example:
application/x-extension-html=userapp-Firefox-3WKO0V.desktop