[arch-general] no desktop: howto change default browser?

Mantas M. grawity at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 02:58:40 EDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:50:06AM +0200, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> Is this config file also managed through gconf or something? I mean I
> really appreciate that it's a text file but it's the first time I heard
> of it and it seems this kind of stuff changes faster than I can say wtf
> (text files to xdg files to gconf to other xdg files). I'm really

No. Both GNOME ("Open with"/"Preferred programs") and KDE 4 edit the file directly; Gconf is generally not used anymore for file type associations.

See the "MIME Actions specification" on freedesktop:

<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/mime-actions-spec>

> confused. I also wonder what the strange additional strings in there
> mean, example:
> application/x-extension-html=userapp-Firefox-3WKO0V.desktop

"application/x-extension-html" probably means all files having the '.html' extension, regardless of automatically-determined MIME type. (For example, if you rename a .jpeg file to .html, it will *still* be detected as image/jpeg, but matching by extension will take priority.)

"userapp-*.desktop" files are created when you manually specify the path to your program in the "Open With..." window (the 'other' choice).