[arch-general] ejecting after cdparanoia

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Sep 14 11:32:01 EDT 2011

Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> Am Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:44:05 +0200
> schrieb Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling):
>
> > As the cdparanoia development stopped in 2001,
>
> And that's why the latest upstream release is from 2008, the latest SVN
> commit was 15 months ago and the latest update in [extra] is from May
> 2011.

It may be that there are some minor changes that allow to compile with newer
GCC versions.....

It may be that there have been some changes that include bugfixes in the
paranoia code that have been done in the cdrtools project earlier.

I can confirm, that some new comments have been introduced as the code is hard
to understand......

I however cannot see any new features or updates on the cdda2wav base code.

and BTW: I made the paranoia code a portable reentrant library in April 2002
after Monty (the original author made clear that it is unlikely that there will
be further releases for cdparanoia (*). Since May 2002, cdda2wav supports
paranoia.

The advantages from cdda2wav over cdparanoia are:

-	works on any platform

-	Compiles with any compiler

-	reentrant code that may even be used as shared library on Mac OS X

-	Using vendor specific optimized code that allows to read UN-CDs

-	Reports whether libparanoia did leave audible problems in the data

-	Support for hidden tracks

-	Support for extracting meta data from the CD

-	Support for CDDB

-	Support for *.inf files or BIN/CUE

Cdparanoia can be seen as the demonstrator to verify that the paranoia idea is
useful, but it leaves many wishes that people have since more than 10 years.

If you find a single case where cdparanoia is better than cdda2wav, you found a
bug in cdda2wav - and there was no bug report against cdda2wav since many years.

*) we are still waiting for the 1999 announced "completely rewritten paranoia IV"

Conclusion: Monty made us a great present with cdparanoia, but since more than
10 years, he is working on other topics that don't leave him time to work on
cdparanoia.

Jörg