[arch-general] Any suggestions on frequently rebuilding a git package?

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 13:40:47 EDT 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM, XeCycle <xecycle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I build Emacs from git quite frequently, about twice a month or so.
> However the PKGBUILD from AUR rebuilds everything each time, which takes
> too many time I think.  Perhaps Emacs is small, but I think there should
> be a way to prevent too many rebuilds --- is that possible?

Don't install from the AUR, keep your local checkout wherever and just
run "make"
yourself, which will only build changes, with the occasional need to
recompile entirely
in the case of emacs.

I don't see a direct way of writing a PKGBUILD that doesn't recompile
everything, at
least not without saving the source tree, and I'm pretty sure there
isn't a standard
way of doing that within arch's build system, but I could be wrong.

I think it makes sense for PKGBUILDs to "recompile" everything. There
are a lot of
assumptions that would need to be made explicit that I doubt anyone
would be too
comfy with.

If I'm wrong, and there's a standard way of doing this within
PKGBUILDs, awesome.
Assuming I'm not,  I think the best you could do would be to not
compile at all if the
version you'd be compiling is the same as what's installed on your system, which
you may already be doing.