[arch-general] Any suggestions on frequently rebuilding a git package?

Lukáš Jirkovský l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:12:11 EDT 2011

On 18 September 2011 17:33, XeCycle <xecycle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I build Emacs from git quite frequently, about twice a month or so.
> However the PKGBUILD from AUR rebuilds everything each time, which takes
> too many time I think.  Perhaps Emacs is small, but I think there should
> be a way to prevent too many rebuilds --- is that possible?
>
> --
> Carl Lei (XeCycle)
> Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
> OpenPGP public key: 7795E591
> Fingerprint: 1FB6 7F1F D45D F681 C845 27F7 8D71 8EC4 7795 E591

I don't know which package you are using, but in my opinion the best
approach is the following:

Look in the PKGBUILD and change "cd $srcdir/some_build_directory"
(which is most likely created git clone) to a directory where the
sources are downloaded (in most cases it's "$srcdir/$_gitname"). Now
when you build package using makepkg, only the updated sources are
rebuilt.

Generally, it's a good idea to read and understand the PKGBUILD before
building. Then it's pretty simple to edit it in way which allows
incremental builds.

If you would have any problems with editing this particular PKGBUILD
to suit your need, you can send the it here and I (or maybe someone
else) will try to help you with that.

Lukas