[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] util-linux-2.20-3

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Sep 20 07:23:21 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Damjan <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> * enable libmount
>>
>> With libmount we get support for /etc/mtab being both a regular file
>> and a symlink to /proc/self/mountinfo. The latter is "the future", but
>> we won't force that as not all mount helpers (such as cifs, fuse, ntfs
>> and nfs) have been ported yet. If you don't use any of the unported
>> mount helpers, you can delete /etc/mtab and make it a symlink
>> manually.
>
> What is the expected problem with fuse filesystems when /etc/mtab is a
> symlink?

The problem would be with mount options that are not stored in the
kernel (so not in /proc/self/mounts). With libmount these are stored
in /run/monut/* instead, but if your helper does not use libmount they
will be lost. One example is the "user" option.

> I have /etc/mtab as a symlink for quite some time, since I moved to
> systemd, and haven't
> noticed any problems with encfs or sshfs - both of which are fuse
> filesystems

It might work fine depending on the options you use.

Cheers,

Tom