[arch-general] Can you test machine to set --jobs[=N] from w/i PKGBUILD?

Vitor Garcia vitorlopesgarcia at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 07:49:34 EDT 2012

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 13:37:27 +0200
Florian Pritz <bluewind at xinu.at> wrote:

> Simple tests (building readline because it's small) with -j4 and -j8
> on my i7-920 show that -j8 is around 20% faster than -j4. IIRC
> wikipedia states that HT core can increase performance by up to 30%.

This is nice to know. I work with mechanichal engineering simulations
and we have noted that using more threads then avaiable processors (we
have a  2 x 6 cores processors that has HT, so it looks like a 24 cores
server) increases the calculation time on the softwares we have. I
assumed that the same would apply to any intensive task, and we have
even disabled HT on the BIOS. Perhaps I'll enable it again.