[arch-general] how many virtual machines

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 17:43:40 EDT 2012

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 16:07:55 -0500
Nicholas MIller wrote:

> please correct me if I'm wrong but running each service as it's own user
> without access to anything it doesn't need it's what you mean?  and this
> might be a stupid ? but do you agree with your statement still if I need to
> use nfs reachable outside my home network

Using VMs for security isn't good practice. It's a fair enough
compromise if your trying to share resources and save energy but it
would be better to use a few low power machines if possible.

The server security is more important. If an attacker can get root
there's a good chance they can escape or spy on the other VMs.