[arch-general] USB mounted into "wrong" directory

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Apr 5 11:15:19 EDT 2012

It would appear that on Apr 4, Tom Gundersen did say:

> On Apr 4, 2012 11:14 AM, "David" <pixelshuck at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Uh, is there any way to revert to old mapping?
> > I do not like the new one.
>
> You'd have to check with udisks. My guess is that while reverting might
> work for the time being /media is going away in the future as the old
> implementation had issues (namespace and privacy in particular). If you
> have concerns about the new approach I suggest raising them sooner rather
> than later, before things become hard to change.

Pardon me for jumping in here, but you just reminded me that I read
somewhere that /media is going away. Can't say that THAT in it self bothers
me, since I don't use it. But I've been not allowing anything to auto-mount
usb devices for so long now that I've forgotten what (if anything) I had to do
to prevent it in Arch {or for that mater any of the other Linux that I
multi-boot...} My method of dealing with usb sticks/drives etc, is that if
root hasn't found the time to set up a custom fstab entry based on either
LABEL=UniquePartitionName for approved usb drives, or /dev/disk/by-id for
approved usb sticks, then only by getting root to proactively do something
about it do I want the durned thing mounted at all. My fstab method allows
for custom mount points where the user simply issues a "mount mountpoint"
and/or "umount mountpoint" command to access the approved device. I usually
do this from mc where the <alt>+<enter> binding will paste the mountpoint
dirname to the command line...

Anyway my only concern with the changes that are driving the demise of
media is that I'm hoping they won't result in automatic reactivation of auto
mounting tools that I don't want, don't use, don't understand, and mostly
don't remember how to disable...

Do you know if I'm going to have to go there again???