[arch-general] libreoffice/cups print timeout - after fist few minutes can no longer print

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Apr 13 11:32:34 EDT 2012

Guys,

   I have noticed a problem in libreoffice for the past several months where
nothing will print after the libre has been open for a couple of minutes.

   If you print right after you start libre office, everything prints just
fine, but if you leave the document open for 5 minutes or so (could be as
short as 2 minutes) nothing will print and you can no longer see your printers
in File -> Printer Settings. If you shutdown Libre and restart it, you can
print again for the first couple of minutes and then the same 'no print'
problem occurs again.

   This has occurred in 3.4 and continues in 3.5. Has anyone else seen this
behavior??

   I feels like there is some type of timeout that occurs between cups and
libre that causes this, but there is nothing in any of the logs in /var/log.

   This affects both LibreOffice and ApacheOpenOffice, so it looks to be a
problem in the common codebase. I have reported the issue to Libre at
freedesktop.org, but nothing has been done there. Also, all other apps, kde,
etc.. continue to print just fine.

   Can anyone thing of additional tests that might be able to help diagnose
what is happened?

   There have been some previous writeups, but no solutions: eg:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/libreoffice-3-4-2-cant-find-a-standard-printer-908534/

   When the problem occurs - all lpstat information shows all the printers
still ready and willing to print. The is consistent with the fact you can
still print from everything accept Libre and Apache Office.

   Seen it? Thoughts? Fixes?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.