[arch-general] EFI-Support (Arch on a MacBook Pro)

Scott Lawrence bytbox at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 14:54:28 EDT 2012

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012, Arvid Warnecke wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am planning to install Arch on my Late-2008 MacBook Pro in the near
> future, because I like the Arch Way and the BSD-style better. (I used to
> run FreeBSD for many years before I had to use Mac OS X. Hence the
> MacBook.)
>
> To get back to use Linux I installed Linux Mint 12, because it seemed
> simple. I now have one Partition with OS X, one for Linux and one small
> Swap. I installed rEFIt from OS X and then installed Linux Mint.
>
> What I have been wondering about now is, if it will be possible to
> install Arch without rEFIt and the Mac OS X at all? I read a lot in the
> wiki pages, but all I found was that if I install Arch only with EFI
> support I will have to install GRUB2. And on the page about GRUB2 I
> read, that I will have to bless GRUB2 from OS X...
>
> If that is necessary I might keep rEFIt and OS X as it is and only
> replace the Mint installation with Arch.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Arvid

It's my understanding that with linux 3.3, it's possible to get EFI to boot
straight to linux. I don't know the specifics - I mean to give it a stab early
this weekend. If I still have a working computer afterwords, I'll let you know
what happens (provided nobody else interjects with something more useful).

--
Scott Lawrence

Linux jagadai 3.3.1-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 3 06:46:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux