[arch-general] Emacs is Broken!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Apr 14 14:52:48 EDT 2012

On 04/13/2012 10:31 PM, Steve Holmes wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 09:12:12PM +1000, Mike Sampson wrote:
>  I switched to emacs-nox from community which works fine. I may even
>> keep using it as it obviously has significantly less dependencies than
>> emacs compiled with X support.
>
> Well, it seems that it is fixed now.  I see we have emacs-23.4-2 so I wonder if our devs patched or something.  All good from my vantage point.

Most likely what occurred is the first emacs build based on gcc47 was broken.
gcc47 dramatically changed what the compiler will accept as well as what headers
are included by default (primarily unistd.h). Unfortunately, the first gcc47
release did not correctly catch all instances where an include was required or
where old code is no longer accepted -- allowing code to build, but with runtime
problems. Generally the developers can fix these issues relatively quickly. With
a standard package like emacs that is so widely used, generally everything is
patched and fixed within a few days. I suspect (but don't know for certain) that
is what happened with emacs...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.