[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] cpufrequtils in [core]

Seblu seblu at seblu.net
Thu Apr 19 07:23:40 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 19.04.2012 01:21, schrieb Seblu:
>>> As far as I'm concerned the replacement can stay in community, but if
>>> anyone feel otherwise I'd be ok with moving and adopting it.
>>
>> If you move linux-tools source package into core/extra it make sense
>> to merge it with linux package.
>
> This would force moving these utilities to core instead of extra, and
> would unnecessarily bind the kernel and some userspace tools together
> (for example, every rebuild of the kernel would force a rebuild of these
> tools, regardless if they changed or not). These PKGBUILDs should
> definitely stay separated.

Currently i removed the last kernel version dot in linux-tools to
avoid user confusion between stable kernel number and linux-tools
version. I manually check if stable release embed fix for cpupower and
perf to avoid user to update when not needed.

As a side note, Kernel dev have choosen to ship with kernel source
tree those tools. They had the choice of moving them into linux-util
or others source tree. My suggestion was to avoid work to be done
twice for us. It's done on other distro like debian.

--
Sébastien Luttringer
www.seblu.net