[arch-general] virtualbox-modules-lts?

attila123 vangel.attila at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 11:28:02 EDT 2012

Hi, I found this thread because I had the same problem.
(Hope this would have been posted to a web based forum, now I had to
register to nabble and archlinux.org mailing list. Not sure why use anymore
old-school mailing lists, when there is https://bbs.archlinux.org/ and you
can subscribe to topics. Just a n00b grumbling...)

So I tried to follow
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox#Hosts_running_a_custom_kernel
as Ralph suggested. But I am a n00b.
I tried the linux-lts kernel to solve my problem with Firefox being
extremely unstable, and then could not kill -9 it (I still don't know
whether it's related to the default arch linux kernel, or whether the
virtualbox modules interfered). Anyway I installed the linux-lts and
configured the /boot/grub/menu.lst for that, and it loaded successfully, and
Firefox is now stable, but I missed the virtualbox integration (fullscreen,
mousewheel, copy-paste bw. host and guest OS).
I did 'pacman -S virtualbox-source', and 'vboxbuild', and I could
successfully 'modprobe vboxdrv', and I could add it to /etc/rc.conf MODULES
section, and I verified that it loaded successfully (lsmod | grep vbox). But
it the above mentioned features did not work. I also checked the
/usr/bin/vboxbuild script to find out that it only builds vboxdrv,
vboxnetadp, vboxnetflt, vboxpci. I found the result in the dir
/lib/modules/3.0.27-1-lts/extramodules.
So what about vboxguest, vboxsf and vboxvideo modules, which were earlier
installed by the virtualbox-archlinux-additions package (and I had to load
them in /etc/rc.conf)? I even tried to remove and install that package
again, but it does not help, I think it's just for the default Arch kernel
of course.
How can I compile and install these modules (vboxguest, vboxsf and
vboxvideo) or how can I make the virtualbox integration work properly?
I would really appreciate some help on this, thanks in advance.
/Attila