[arch-general] RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Sam Mulvey sam at tacomatelematics.com
Thu Apr 26 05:23:09 EDT 2012

On Apr 25, 2012, at 9:38 AM, Kaiting Chen wrote:

> The problem I have with a systemd like init system is that it's way too
> much overkill for a server. I like our current situation as we have an
> extremely simple init system and users can drop in systemd if they so
> choose. --Kaiting.

I concur.  For my purposes the Arch init system isn't broken.

For the arch init, even dependencies aren't too big a deal given that the linear way system services are defined in rc.conf, though I know it's been an important feature in other init systems.  Having the arch init with systemd as an option if it's needed or wanted is great, but I can imagine trying to keep two init systems in mind while maintaining could get nightmarish.

-Sam