[arch-general] RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 19:41:48 EDT 2012

On 25-04-12 16:03, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> Greetings,

[init, systemd]

> As an alternative to the One Process For Everything I'd like to ask
> you to evalute OpenRC as an init system for Arch Linux.

Possibly a stupid idea and probably OT, but i was just thinking; as
systemd appears to take off more and more, how about parsing the unit
files it uses in OpenRC?

I really like the simplicity of the current init scripts, but i could
imagine systemd taking over at some point. It would be very nice to have
an alternative in that case.
If OpenRC could be made to use the same config files (or at least, the
daemon-specific files) then it could very well be a nice alternative
whilst keeping it simple for the developers.

But for the moment, i prefer the current Arch Init system. Coming from a
debian background, this was the first thing I noticed and came to love
in Arch. Pacman was a close second ;).

mvg,
    Guus