[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 27 04:53:26 EDT 2012

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 10:49:26 +0200
Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:

> Gentoo might make systemd the default init system in the future. Nobody
> can say if and when this could heppen but this is clearly possible for
> OpenRC to become a Gentoo init system _alternative_.
>
> This is why I think that switching to OpenRC *now* would be wrong.

I doubt it would get onto Hardened Gentoo.

So in order to gain a slight speed increase in booting, which can be
done in other ways (Alpine boots faster than any systemd enabled
system). Please give me examples of any other valuable benefits.

We are going to sacrifice, simplicity, amount of code to look for bugs
and most importantly, ease of troubleshooting. One of the beauties of
Unix is the error information. Aren't they all going to be mixed
together on systemd. Imagine if all drivers loaded at once. Ughh Would
many resort to Windows style trial and error more often.

p.s. I'm sure many will disagree on this seperate point but whilst I
like the pretty startup and colors of arch, I have been annoyed in the
past whilst being used to OpenBSD that I have to look at many files for
pacman and functions.sh etc.. If there's a bug I need to fix, I prefer
not to have to dig around and prefer to know it's somewhere right in
front of my eyeballs without thinking about what tab in my editor I'm
on, the sames true to me of overuse of inline functions. Code
location sporadity and use of binary files seems annoyingly on the
increase (not Arches fault).

OpenBSD has several files and recently a directory as part of init.
They have tried to keep this to as few as possible in case the user
wants to lock it down, it has other great benefits. This simplicity
surely fits with Arch.