[arch-general] [Bulk] Re: RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Apr 30 11:35:22 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> What's the point. To me that's just adding an extra redundant layer
> that could have bugs. I see no point using binaries for configuration
> whatosever. RAM is crazy fast and some SSDs are now as fast as a PIIIs
> ram. How many nanoseconds does it take to parse config files???
>
> Heck it would be fast on our spectrum ZX.
>
> The other argument is cross program similar formatting. To me that just
> adds difficulty and a usage barrier to possibly very different programs.
>
> Qmail, dovecot and sudoers are all very different, it causes no
> problem. Binaries and xml in odd multiple locations expecting
> users to use a conf tool with rediculously long and custom non self
> explanatory terminal lines does!!!!!
>
> I installed mint for a friend. It came with gconf. I had to
> google and install dconf to configure lockscreen, WTF!. Configuring
> gnome as an admin takes ages because it's custom. A textfile with
> examples would take seconds!!

Are you guys still discussing init systems? (I might have lost some
context, if so: my appologies, and please change the Subject).

None of initscripts, OpenRC, systemd or upstart use binary or XML
configuration files.

Gnome might, but that seems off-topic. If you wish you could always
use KDE instead, which uses .desktop-like files (as does systemd for
what that's worth).

Cheers,

Tom