[arch-general] Reliable documents (was Re: RFC: OpenRC as init system for Arch)

Lorenzo Bandieri lorenzo.bandieri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 12:06:30 EDT 2012

2012/4/30 Rashif Ray Rahman <schiv at archlinux.org>:
> On 30 April 2012 17:35, Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2012/4/30 Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk>:

>> > To get the benefit of your experience. Do you use Lyx as your editor or
>> > something else.
>>
>> Sorry if I "jump in", but as a LaTeX user I usually suggest to stay
>> away from Lyx. Basically it's an editor that attempt to make LaTeX
>> work like Words, which IMHO it's not the best approach. I suggest to
>> use an editor that doesn't try to hide how LaTeX works, and one of my
>> favourite is TexMaker.
>>

> There is nothing wrong in using LyX. I don't know why you have that
> perception.

Probably because I used to edit LaTeX documents in a simple text
editor from the beginning. I learned LaTeX that way, so I feel
comfortable only when I can see and edit the "code". I gave it a
chanche more than once, but everytime I tried to write something in
LyX I felt extremely uneasy and it seemed it was standing in my way.
Also, I don't like the fact that it saves the files in *.lyx. For the
same reasons, I suggest those who want to use LaTeX to start by
writing the code, learning the syntax, etc. Having learned myself that
way, I find it the best way, I guess.

>It helps when your writing is qualitative rather than
> quantitative (in which case LaTeX and a more involved process can be
> adopted).
>
> It does not work "like Words", because it is very clear that it is _not_
> WYSIWYG.

I partially disagree on this. LaTeX is not WYSIWYG, but LyX's
environment IMHO is a pseudo-WYSIWYG frontend.

Howerver, I acknowledge that in certain settings LyX can be useful; I
just like to edit LaTeX source by hand.

Regards

Lorenzo

--
"Imagine an idea that occupies your mind the way an army occupies a city."