[arch-general] locale.conf

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 08:26:12 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> LANG= en_US.UTF-8
>> LC_COLLATE=C
>
> I don't know why you set it, but I find LC_COLLATE=C extremely annoying.

One possible reason is that asciibetical sorting causes e.g. files
named "_foo" or "[foo]" to be sorted before all other items, which
some people might be relying on. Meanwhile, locale sorting ignores the
non-alphanumeric prefix.

But I can definitely see how it can be annoying: I want "Ą" to be
sorted between "A" and "B" where it belongs [in my language anyway],
and the C collation would put all accented letters after "Z", which is
... not very useful.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas