[arch-general] IRC channel

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 08:51:21 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Δημήτρης Ζέρβας <01ttouch at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello, I want a private IRC channel for <10 users. with voice chat ability.
> Do I have to set up my own server, or I can find a free provider for this?
> Also, if i've to set up a server, which ircd do you recommend?
> I want it to support voice chat and be very lightweight!

You can set up private channels practically anywhere – Freenode is
popular among geeks; then there's Quakenet, foonetic, OFTC, IRCnet,
DALnet, EFnet, and so on, as well as a whole ton of tiny networks.

If you want to run your own server, I'd recommend Charybdis ircd,
although UnrealIRCd is not bad either. For the IRC services (NickServ,
ChanServ, etc), use Atheme.

However, IRC does not have built-in support for voice chat, regardless
of which ircd you choose. Some IRC clients claim to support it (e.g.
KVIrc), but it's always implemented client-side, and it usually works
only between two users...

--
Mantas Mikulėnas