[arch-general] Quick btrfs-root question

Jameson imntreal at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 09:10:44 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:11 AM, Leonidas Spyropoulos
<artafinde at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:48 AM, Zhengyu Xu <xzy3186 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 21:50 -0400, Jameson wrote:
>>> I apologize if I've missed it somewhere, but does grub support booting
>>> from a multi-device btrfs root sub-volume without a separate /boot?
>>>
>>> I left the chroot, and installed grub to that disk from my old root,
>>> but it won't boot from my new volume.  Does anyone have some advice,
>>> or should I just move to a separate /boot?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> =-Jameson
>
> I have a btrfs partition (no seperate /boot) and I recommend using
> syslinux. You won't even have to upgrade to Grub2.

Well, I'm trying to migrate an existing install that is already
booting from grub(2).  I could have sworn that I read that syslinux
didn't support booting from a non-separate /boot btrfs partition.  I
suspect it's the multi-device part that's the issue.  I'm just going
to try, again with a separate /boot partition, and see how it goes.