[arch-general] locale.conf

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 09:32:23 EDT 2012

On 01/08/12||14:11, Mauro Santos wrote:
> On 01-08-2012 13:09, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> > On 01/08/12||14:46, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> >>
> >> This is right, but the "C" locale uses US-ASCII, not UTF-8 (although
> >> Debian has "C.UTF-8").
> >>
> >> So I would /not/ recommend setting "C" as $LANG. (Or as anything else,
> >> except $LC_COLLATE).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Mantas Mikulėnas
> >
> > OK, thnak you for your answer. I thought I had to write more lines in
> > locale.conf because of all my locale.gen.
> > So I sticked to basic :
> > LANG=en_US.UTF8
> > LC_COLLATE=C
> >
> > As suggested, I commented in locale.gen all ISO files, except the one
> > with the euro symbol, and decided to let english.
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> Unless I forgot to read some post I guess no one stated what seems to me
> to be the most straightforward way of doing it.
>
> If you have your system working to your preference (before having
> anything in locale.conf), check the output of 'locale' and copy it to
> locale.conf.
>
> --
> Mauro Santos

Mauro,

you are right as I am still confused!
Most of my readings let me to just write:
LANG=en_US.UTF8
LC_COLLATE=C

But by curiousity, I am now trying
LANG=fr_CH.UTF8
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8

and will see in the coming days if any issue arrise.

I thought the answer to my question would be more trivial, but I was
wrong!

Thank you again.

Regards.