[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Ray Kohler ataraxia937 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 00:05:03 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 2:01 AM, Ray Kohler <ataraxia937 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As it's been marked out-of-date for a while, and I'm interested in it,
>> I've done the work to upgrade the polkit package to 0.107. I've tested
>> this package locally. The main value of this upgrade (for me at least)
>> is systemd integration, including proper systemd-style bus activation.
>
> Unfortunately, enabling systemd support removes consolekit support,
> screwing over everyone not running systemd.

Ah, I didn't know about that. Are you sure that's still the model used
here with this upstream support? How would I test? I am running
systemd, but I also use consolekit.

>> This now wants a dedicated user and group, by default 'polkitd'.  I
>> re-used 102, which was listed as 'policykit' in the UID/GID database.
>> Hopefully it really was unused. The build depends on this user and group
>> already being present (otherwise 'make install' fails to chown some
>> directories, and polkitd fails to read them and dies).
>
> Ah, that sucks.
> Any suggestions on how to handle this when building in clean chroots?

I did my builds by building a broken package first (the 'make install'
failure doesn't actually cause the build to fail), installing that
(which created the user and group), and then building it again
(getting a working package this time). Not very satisfactory, and not
workable in a build chroot. Possibly it would work to allow the
directories to get the wrong owner, and then chown them after make
install, using the intended numeric UID/GID directly. Not very safe,
as we might have polkitd:polkitd being something other than 102:102 on
some systems for some reason.