[arch-general] Makepkg's versioning for git packages

Menachem Moystoviz moystovi at g.jct.ac.il
Fri Aug 3 06:56:52 EDT 2012

I am a bit confused regarding makepkg's versioning of packages.
>From what Allan said on this mailing list a couple of days ago, custom
support is being added to makepkg.
In addition, from what I can see on the wiki and manpages, the only
variable influencing the versioning is pkgver.
However, from what I've heard, when running makepkg with _gitroot and
_gitname set, makepkg will automatically
set pkgver to the date of the last commit.

Could someone clarify this? Also, the wiki pages regarding makepkg
should mention this.
Thanks,