[arch-general] Build pacman statically

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Fri Aug 3 12:29:25 EDT 2012

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:31:06 -0400
Jack Silver <jacksilver045 at gmail.com> wrote:

> To exchange information I want to let know this list that I have filled a
> feature request form to ask for a statically builded pacman.
>
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30993
>
> Comments welcome in the bug manager.
>
> جاك الفضة

Well, bugtracker is not a place for comments, it's for solutions.

Anyway... statically compiling things is not a way of avoiding trouble, at
least not in a self-sustained fashion. So, if you propose to have pacman in
[core] statically compiled against all needed libraries, I would be against
that as the package will be an unmaintainable mess. That might work for a
rescue (read embedded-like system with ulibc) system, but probably booting
from a live media is much easier and more robust.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D