[arch-general] chromium crash when print dialog is invoked

Norbert Zeh nzeh at cs.dal.ca
Fri Aug 3 18:43:23 EDT 2012

gt [2012.08.03 1526 +0530]:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 10:15:33AM +0200, Magnus Therning wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Probably the only people running Linux systems without cups are the
> > > DIY distro groups (Arch, gentoo etc.) as I don't think this would have
> > > been caught in the bigger distros where if I'm not mistaken cups is
> > > installed by default....
> >
> > I think you are spot on.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but print-to-file
> > is available without having cups running, right?  (I'm nowhere near
> > any of my Linux machines at the moment so I can't test it for myself.)
>
> Yes, I often use print to file (mainly with firefox), and it does not
> require the cups daemon to be running.
>
> Also, I am experiencing chromium hanging when trying to print on a
> non-DE environment.

To add to this discussion, my experience with chromium is a bit different from
what people are suggesting here.  I'm running xmonad and use systemd's socket
method to start cups when needed.  It doesn't matter whether cups is running or
not, chromium never actually crashes on me, but the tab where I invoke Ctrl-P or
select Print from the menu becomes unresponsive.  Having cups running or not has
no effect whatsoever on this on my machine.  Really annoying.

Cheers,
Norbert