[arch-general] New dual install iso -- Where the heck is arch-setup??

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Aug 4 13:32:30 EDT 2012

On 08/04/2012 01:25 AM, Daniel Wallace wrote:
> http://www.archlinux.org/news/install-media-20120715-released/
>
> If is not on the iso because it is broken.  It has plenty of bugs which
> you can see for yourself in the bug tracker
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?project=6
>
> It definitly needs a patch for the fact that grub is no longer a
> package in the repositories, the iso comming out soon, 20120804 will
> have grub2 on it so people with efi should be able to use it.  The
> partitioning has been long broken in the testing isos.  And aif has no
> maintainer.  If you want to help get it back onto the iso, go read the
> releng mailing list.  Other than that, learn to use the new install
> scripts.  They basically simplify the way you have always been able to
> install Archlinux https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Install_from_Existing_Linux .
> This works because the livecd is an Existing Linux installation. For
> more information about the install scripts see
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Install_Scripts and help
> update the beginners guide where it needs to be changed.
>
> If you are going to complain how this isn't K.I.S.S. here is a blogpost
> from Pierre Schmitz on how Archlinux was originally installed
> https://pierre-schmitz.com/how-your-parents-installed-arch/

Dan,

  Thank you for pointing out the problems with AIF, I wasn't aware that it was a
broken as it was. I had never encountered install problems with it, even with
fakeraid/mdraid installs.

  You read me wrong, and I admit I could have been a bit more articulate, but at
0000 and just wanting a quick vbox install to test new TDE packages on, I was a
bit taken when there was no AIF. I'm not so much complaining as I am intending
to foster a discussion about why a distro of Arch's caliber ditched its
installer with no working replacement. (I know, it all comes down to manpower
available, but at what cost?)

  The crux of the discussion I guess, should really be on how to balance the
desire to immediately release the latest upstream change verses insuring the
change can be released without breaking other parts of the Arch system. The
issue here with AIF/grub2 is a perfect example. grub is old and needs replacing,
but Arch dropped grub and replaced it with grub2 while at the same time dropping
AIF, which left Arch with no installer.

  It just seems that sometimes a better or more well thought out migration path
could be put in place that would eliminate these type of surprises. This isn't a
complaint, this is open discussion hoping to foster a better way of avoiding
loss of capability in the distro. If arch wasn't that good of a distro, I
wouldn't devote the time to trying to think though these issues and find
solutions to make Arch work better. It is, so it is worth thinking though
whether there is a better way to do things like this.

  I'll add to the beginners guide so there is a bit more guidance with the
manual install.

- --
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.