[arch-general] New dual install iso -- Where the heck is arch-setup??

Jeremiah Dodds jeremiah.dodds at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 15:07:16 EDT 2012

"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> writes:

> On 08/04/2012 01:20 AM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
>> Use archboot if you need hand holding.
>>
>> greetings
>> tpowa
>
> No hand holding needed, just bewildered why Arch would ditch a tool that worked
> perfectly well. Further, the lack of an AIF type tool just makes Arch less
> likely to be tried as a distro when anyone choosing between which distro to try
> reads there is no installer for Arch. Arch is a very, very good distro,
> brilliant in many respects... and as such, one would expect that it would have
> at least a KISS type automated install.
>
> I just don't understand the logic in ditching a working tool.

FWIW, I've been working on "fixing" aif (I just recently got grub-bios
support working in it), although it's not clear to me yet whether it
needs an entire re-write or if one of the other efforts like archboot
would be better to focus on, or if one of the "port-aif-to-python"
efforts would be.

As it is, and as was pointed out in other places, aif was pretty
broken. I feel like a lot of it's brokenness might have come from trying
to do too much too quick, but I don't really know.

Also fwiw, I would agree with tpowa's recommendation of archboot for the
moment for people who need more "hand-holding". It's a pretty solid tool.

--
Jeremiah Dodds

github     : https://github.com/jdodds
freenode   : exhortatory