[arch-general] New dual install iso -- Where the heck is arch-setup??

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Aug 4 21:43:13 EDT 2012

On 08/04/2012 10:49 AM, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
>> David, you are fairly active on the mailing lists, and it's amusing that
>> > you totally missed the discussions related to the removal of AIF a few
>> > weeks ago.
> More to the point, as a maintainer of a fairly complicated set of packages,
> he should be following important announcements rather than shooting of
> emails when he personally encounters the changes. Or at least looking at
> the front pages

Both points well taken. I do follow - to the greatest extent possible - the
changes with arch. Even scanning the dev list, I completely glossed over the AIF
removal, thus the email. After having completed the install without it, I can
say, AIF is sorely missed.

The install guide that is currently in the wiki, does a good job, but it is
extremely terse. The install can be done with the install wiki, but it takes an
additional level of effort and Linux understanding than with AIF (and that had
no training wheels). The current install is silent on 'swap'. I wanted a 500M
swap, so I created on with cfdisk during install and added it to fstab. Simple
issue, but it was things like that that AIF did that really helped cut down on
the time/thought required for install.

What is the current Arch policy for swap creation? Is it still recommended? If
so, for what systems? (RAM <X, other criteria?) Let me know and I'll add it to
the install wiki. Even if it is "Arch doesn't recommend swap creation", that
should still be there for all users that historically have come to expect a swap.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.