[arch-general] Softlink /media

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 12:13:50 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> Is /media still needed by anything?

Yes, I think udisks (v1) still mounts stuff there.

> There's no big difference between typing
>
> # ls /run/media/spinymouse/INTENSO
>
> and
>
> # ls /media/spinymouse/INTENSO

Then `rm /media` and create the symlink yourself.

> I wonder if it's possible to use $HOME for the softlink?

Not directly, but you can have ~/media → /run/media/spinymouse.

> IMO an USB stick etc. should be auto-mounted at /media, I prefer to
> type /media/INTENSO only.

It's certainly more convenient – but there's still tab-completion, so
it's not too bad now.

AFAIK, the change was made for security/privacy reasons, though.
Fedora is trying to have multi-seat working transparently, and I think
they don't want user A to see user B's mounted disks.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas